Breedlove DSCN44CERCAM Discovery S Concert Edgeburst CE Red Cedar/African Mahogany
Sometimes undersung in the guitar world, western red cedar has a glowing warmth that responds quickly to fingerstyle play while offering a rosy definition to relaxed strumming. It finds a perfect duet partner in the clarity and cutting power of African mahogany. The pioneering Concert shape, a standard for 30 years, is balanced, versatile and resonant. Boasting a beguiling gloss Edgeburst finish, this solid top soft cutaway Breedlove Discovery S Concert features sustainable earth-conscious, sonically superior EcoTonewood technology. Comfortable and easy to play, with a slim, fast neck and beginner-friendly narrow nut width, the guitar comes equipped with Fishman Presys I electronics, with built-in tuner. Discover the Breedlove ECO Collection—where the guitar meets the forest.
- Made from sustainably-sourced exotic and native tonewoods. No clear-cut trees are used in these instruments. Breedlove uses salvaged and individually harvested timber and has deep relationships with responsible suppliers around the globe. As we move towards sustainability across all lines, owner Tom Bedell has visited 15 countries to discover exactly where the wood comes from, how it is selected and harvested, and how this affects the wildlife, the community, the forest and the planet.
- With EcoTonewood, Breedlove makes laminate technology sustainable, introducing a resonant core tonewood layer of clear-cut free, individually harvested African mahogany in place of the typical tone-robbing softwoods used in standard acoustic guitar manufacture. Coupled with Breedlove’s deep research into revolutionary body shapes; building to target tonewood weight adds to the optimized, natural sound of each guitar in the ECO Collection. And, Breedlove creates these better sounding laminate guitars while being kind to the earth while maintaining an accessible, entry-level price-point.
- Along with its body shape, a guitar’s top is the defining element of its sound, driving, through its vibration, the key aspects of volume, tone, sustain and projection. Spruce will, due in part to its famous stiffness-to-weight ratio, ring loud and clear. A solid wood top translates those vibrations with more immediacy and purity of tone, and reacts more directly with the intent of a player. If you are at an intermediate level or above, you will appreciate the instantly recognizable benefits of a solid wood top.
- The Concert is our most popular body shape, favored by players because it is well-balanced, compact, comfortable to play, and offers all the qualities of a great sounding guitar. It generates a wonderfully articulate range of tone with an ample low end that is never boomy, but always felt. The Concert works well when played fingerstyle, as vocal accompaniment, or at a full strum.
- Long treasured by cabinetmakers and shipwrights for its simple, straight-grained beauty, strength and workability, mahogany—used in tops, backs, sides and necks—is also one of the true classic tonewoods, famous for its clear, strong fundamental; even string-to-string balance; and warm midrange emphasis. Mahogany pairs well with spruce tops as well as with itself in single species guitars—and both combinations define much of American roots music.